Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Julie Marek--Sunday, July 13

July 13, 2008
BLOG by Julie Marek

On the ten hour trip from Varna to Blagoevgrad, down bumpy back roads of Bulgaria which we termed the Bulgarian back massage, we had ample time to talk and get to know each other better. We would like take this opportunity to introduce ourselves to you--take a look at these profiles:

Kristen Holtschlag
I am a high school English teacher. My first three years as a teacher were spent at an alternative high school in Northeast Washington, DC. After the trip, I will be moving to Chicago to start a new chapter in my life and working with 9th and 11th graders at Oak Park/River Forest High School.

Since a 500-page epic poem will be my students’ first introduction to high school and me, I am excited to discover that my Bulgarian experience has much to offer in terms of enriching this ancient and important text- The Odyssey!

On a personal level, I have also been very touched by the spirit and optimism with which the Bulgarians we have met face their period of transition.


Pamela Galbraith
I am the outreach coordinator for the Center for Advanced Study of International Development (CASID) at Michigan State University where I am also a PhD candidate in the Department of Anthropology. I studied the gender and the development of civil society in Bulgaria in 2001 with the support of Fulbright- IIE, and will join the Anthropology department of Grand Valley State University as visiting faculty this fall.


Kristin Walden Grattan
Kristin is Nation Board Certified Teacher – Literacy 2005 and currently teaching at risk children in grades K-5 in Mason, Michigan. She received a BA in French from Albion College; MA in literacy from Michigan State University.

Kristin is very interested in continuing her study of the Bulgarian language and the Cyrillic Language when she returns to the United States.


Karen Lee
I teach 9th grade Early World History and 12th grade AP US Government at Maya Angelou Public Charter School (MAPCS). The school is located in Northeast Washington DC and serves students who have not been successful in traditional schools. I have a Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction and have a desire to help make urban curriculum equitable.

I wanted to come to Bulgaria to experience and learn a region of the world that I had never seen before. I am very interested in the history of this region because it is directly linked to the work I do in the classroom. I also wanted to be able to share the world with my students and encourage them to see new places and explore the world for themselves. My hope is that students will begin to look and study the world around them with a new set of eyes and fresh perspective.


Le Tran
Le Tran has taught art at East Kentwood High School for six years. She is also an adjunct professor at Kendal College of Art and Design. Ms. Tran is and active member of the National Art Education Association and she has been invited to participate in a delegation to travel to Vietnam as a part of the People to People Initiatives. This is Le’s second Fulbright Hays GPA. She enjoys reading, traveling and painting.


Andrea Hartland
I am Andrea Hartland and I live in Lansing, Michigan. I teach third graders at Bath Elementary in Bath, Michigan. I am a Spartan at heart, having earned both a BA in Elementary Education and a MA in Curriculum and Teaching from Michigan State University. One of my strongest aspirations is to model a heightened level of global awareness and tolerance of diversity to my students. This trip to Bulgaria allows me to bring a cultural experience to children who are not familiar with this beautiful and fascinating country. From swimming in the Black Sea to playing traditional Bulgarian instruments with people in the mountain villages. It has been a journey filled with endless memories that I will share with my students for years to come.


Ann Marie Borders
Ann Marie's professional work in Michigan includes:
National Board Certified Teacher
MEA International Understanding Commission Chair
Active member of the University Musical Society Chorus (and other local music organizations)
I am married to my best friend James Borders with two lovely adult children Jacqueline and Julia. I teach 1st grade at Logan School in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I’d like to teach Bulgarian culture to my students using the district outcomes and hands on activities. I am moved by the sheer beauty of the country. Rolling hills, fields of sunflowers, snow covered mountains, interspersed with cliff clinging villages, majestic churches and shopping complexes. It is an amazingly welcoming country. I’m very happy to be here with a wonderful, energetic and insightful group of people.


Anne W. Dale Blair
Anne teaches elementary art in Grandville Public Schools. She has 5 elementary schools and has about 1000 students, 1st through 6th grade. Her BA was from Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in Art Education/Interior Design. She also has a MA in Print Making from Purdue and Elementary Endorsement from Western Michigan University.

Professionally, Anne is active in her professional organizations and is Co-Chair of the Michigan Art Education Association 2008 conference being held in Grand Rapids, October 9-12th, 2008.

Print making is Anne’s favorite art media with relief woodcuts and etchings. She is also currently in a quilt phase, making queen size quilts and experimenting with lots of colors.


Heather Bartlett
Heather teaches middle school in Romeo, Michigan for the past ten years. She teaches Social Studies, History, and Math. She received her Undergraduate Degree from Central Michigan University with majors in Math and Social Studies. She also earned her Master Degree in American History from Oakland University.


Pat Goodman
Pat is currently a counselor for 8th and 9th graders at Coloma Junior High. Pat is a talented musician and a member of the Kalamazoo and Southwest Michigan Symphony Orchestra and the OPUS IV and Renaissance String Quartets.

Pat is a mother of three children, Andrew who is a Medical Resident with the University of Pennsylvania, Nicholas who is in International Studies at Eastern Kentucky University, and Carolyn who is a graduate of the University of Michigan in Vocal Performance an upcoming star who is moving to NYC and working for a break.


Margaret Holtschlag
Margaret’s professional work in Michigan includes:
LATTICE –Linking All Types of Teachers to International Cross-Cultural Education, Director of the Big Lesson programs (History, Zoo, Nature, Science, Culture programs), Adjunct Instructor, College of Education, Michigan State University, Michigan Teacher of the Year 2000 & National Teacher of the Year Finalist 2000.

Margaret currently lives in Okemos, Michigan with her family members including Dave her husband and her children Joe, Sarah, and Kristen.

I am inspired by the creativity of our group of Fulbright teachers. Each are developing curriculum projects to teach about Bulgaria to their students in MI, NV, DC, and IL. Teachers are sharing their experiences with each other, including integrated curriculum, differentiation, history, literature, art, music, geography, and literacy. We are all sharing ideas and learning from each other. I am proud to be part of this outstanding group of educators.


Julie Marek
I currently teach 8th grade World Geography at Brinley Middle School in Las Vegas, Nevada. I have been teaching in Vegas for the past 8 years but my roots are in Michigan where I started teaching at Fowlerville High School. I have my Bachelors in Education from Central Michigan University and a Masters in Geography from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). I was fortunate to finish my Masters in Sydney, Australia studying and teaching there for 6 months. Last summer I participated in a Semester at Sea program spending 3 months traveling and studying culture and geography through out Latin America (Mexico to Chile). I am currently active with the Geographic Alliance of Nevada (GAIN) as a teacher consultant presenting lessons at GeoFest 2008.

I believe that we are all life long learners of the world around us. It is wonderful experiences like this Fulbright to Bulgaria that helps us to build connections and understanding of other regions of the world. I know that while there are only 16 of us fellow teachers on this trip the experiences, knowledge, and wonderful ideals of tolerance will be felt by thousands of students in the years to come.


Carol Mohrlock
C aring educator of sixth grade geography and seventh grade ancient civilization
Ann Arbor, Michigan native
Realist in terms of thoughts and ideas
Open minded individual
Love of people, cultures and life

Masters degree is held from Eastern MI University and one from University of Michigan
Other grades I have taught are:1, 4, 5, elem. & high school special ed, & college level
Hope College is where I received my Bachelors of Arts degree in 1980
Religion, faith and a strong foundation in spirituality is part of who I am
Learning is a passion of mine. I believe I will be a life long learner
One brother named Ken is my only sibling
Comfortable, content, curious, creative are some of the “c” words which describe me
Keep on traveling is a goal and desire of mine



And as a final note with the extra time on the bus we have a special treat of Lyrics by Larry. This is best if done to the tune of On The Road Again by Willie Nelson… Go on give it a try!

LYRICS BY LARRY.. ON THE BUS AGAIN!

Chorus

On the bus again
Just can’t wait to get on the bus again
The life I love is seeing Bulgaria with my friends
And I can’t wait to get on the bus again
On the bus again
Leaving Varna that I’ve never been
Buying things that I may never see again,

And I can’t wait to get on the bus again

Verse 1

As we leave at seven O three
Carol says it’s icon, coffee, or tea
And Varna sunflowers that we love the best
Shows us their face as George speeds to the west

And I can’t wait to get on the bus again

Verse 2

On the bus again
Like a band of gypsies we go to the fortress Tsarevets
We’re the best of friends
It was where the Second Bulgarian Kingdom end was met.

And I can’t wait to get on the bus again

Verse 3

On the bus again
Traveling with friends I love and trust
Speeding down a bumpy road
And hoping my bladder will not bust

And I can’t wait to get on the bus again
Verse 4

On the bus again
Like a band of gypsies we do the week’s evaluation
We’re the best of friends
And as travelers what has been our own education

And I can’t wait to get on the bus again.

Verse 5

On the bus again
Hoping my deodorant doesn’t end
For ten hours we are the best of friends
And I just can’t wait to get off the bus again.

And I just can’t wait to get off the bus again.

No comments: